Sage - General >> Fan-fic & Fan-art >> The Evolution of Sage
The Evolution of Sage
Post by Nadav on Nov 22nd, 2017, 05:45am
Click to enlarge.
Sage (Tessa) is a mutant with the power to sense the mutant potential within others, and under the proper circumstances bring that promise into being. This mutant power includes total recall (perfect memory) combined with the ability to process and analyse all that information with a speed that puts the fasted computer to shame. (Clearly needed when dealing with something as complex as DNA.) Very elegant!
From left to right, first row --
• Mutant in Training - Tessa in the X-Man-in-training / New Mutant uniform.
At age 10-12 Tessa saved Charles Xavier after his legs were crushed by the alien Lucifer. After some traveling together (and saving a young mining engineer, Sebastian Shaw, on the way) they got separated. Six years later she showed up at his doorstep, looking for the teaching that he promised her.
• Hellfire Club - Professor Xavier sent Tessa to spy on Sebastian Shaw at the Hellfire Club. She was to serve as Shaw's shadow and report back to Xavier. She helped Shaw make his fortune in wager against mutant predator, Elias Bogan. Bogan knew who was responsible for his defeat and waited with inhuman patience to exact his retribution -- Bogan kidnapped Tessa. Sebastian Shaw could ransom her at the cost of everything he possessed but the price was too high for him. When Bogan couldn't break Tessa's will he marked her face with tattoos to remind them both of unfinished business. Storm rescued Tessa and brought her to the X-mansion.
• X-Treme X-Men - Storm brought Tessa to the mansion where she worked with Forge and served as the team's analyst. Storm soon led a splinter group of X-Men, including Tessa, now known as "Sage," away from the X-mansion on a quest to find Destiny's Diaries. She and Shadowcat created the Cyber Sunglasses for the team. Not only are they a communication device, they also function both as sophisticated scanning array with full spectrum sensors capability, and as terminals for an equally powerful data network. The sunglasses are also able to project holographic images. (Anything from keyboards, screens, and the image of the people in the conversation.)
• X-Treme X-Men (2) - Eventually Storm's X-Men team dropped their search for the diaries and started working with the United Nations as a global mutant police force, the XSE. Sage wore a new costume, which had several variations, this one is Salvador Larroca's version of it, mostly from covers. Also, Sage and the team confronted Bogan and won.
Second row --
• Uncanny X-Men - Storm's team returned to the X-Mansion, still continuing their work as XSE. Sage had her own house on the mansion's grounds. She got back to her older X-Men costume plus a new hooded jacked. (The jacket has similar capabilities to the Cyber Sunglasses.) (The outfit was coloured purple even though it was essentially the old Larroca costume. Perhaps initially the purple was the light from the monitors she was viewing, and somehow that stuck. Presented here in purple too, just to add some diversity in colour.)
• Hellfire Club (2) - After a fight with Viper, Sage followed her to a new gathering of the Hellfire Club. Sage arranged for Sebastian Shaw and Donald Pierce to fight each other so Roberto da Costa (Sunspot) could take over the Hellfire Club as its new Lord Imperial. She left the X-Men to watch over Roberto.
• New Excalibur - Sage joined a new Excalibur team that protected mutants that lost their powers on "M Day" (by the hands of the unhinged Scarlet Witch.) (The only thing that artist Michael Ryan didn't include in Sage's new costume design was the kitchen sink. Presented here down to the last seam.)
• New Exclaimer (2) - (new artist, new sleek look, drawing inspiration from her signature design.) Team member, Nocturne, experienced a stroke. Sage graciously allowed the bed ridden Nocturne to possess her body so she could stretch her legs and get some fresh air. Sage took back control over her own body after Nocturne was starting to have problems.
Third row --
• Diana Fox - in an attempt to infiltrate a new orgnaision of the Shadow Captains led by Albion, Sage went undercover as a fake character she invented - "Diana Fox." Albion was recruiting depowered mutants and Sage pretended to be one. She dyed her hair blonde, used green contact lenses and adopted a new persona. After days of interrogation and evaluation she convinced Alibion of her alleged loyalty. Like the other recruits she received a uniform that gave her super-strength and flight when worn, while at the same time working on the wearer's mind, emphasising loyalty to Albion. Sage was able to resist this mental onslaught and keep her true self inviolate thanks to her training and unbreakable human will. (Pictured in the background. The artist actually used her civvies from when she let Nocturne possess her body, and with different hairstyle. But I thought it would be fun to include it.)
Albion used a mysterious crystal-like device to inhibit the technology in Great Britain. Sage tried to stop him but a freak accident knocked her out, when she woke up Sage truly believed herself to be Diana Fox. She fought against Excalibur (slaying some of the Shadow King's puppets in the process) until she reasserted control of her mind and eliminated the Diana Fox persona. And helped Excalibur beat Albion.
• New Exiles - during a crossover with Exiles, the dying "Goddess" Roma forcibly transferred her eons-worth of memories and essences of creatures she had absorbed over the years into Sage's mind for safe-keeping. Sage feared it would fall into the wrong hands so she left Earth and joined Psylocke's Exiles team where she tried to cope with Roma's baggage. Roma's essence rejuvenated the Diana Fox persona and made her real in Sage's mind, in addition to all the other entities Sage had to fight inside her own head she now had Diana Fox to deal with, too. It was a constant struggle but Sage came on top every time. This outfit that she put together (from items she found in a treasure chest) represents the chaos in Sage's mind, also reflected in Diana's new costume. (While Sage was dealing with her own problems, the Exile known as "Cat" (a doppelganger of Shadowcat) was trying to fix the Exiles' home, the Crystal Palace, which was falling apart and with it the Omniverse.)
• New Exiles (2) - Merlyn came to claim his daughter Roma's memories. In order to stop Merlyn, one of the women had to surrender to the other so they'll have the strength to beat him. Sage convinced Diana that Diana should be the one to let go because unlike Sage she can't process Roma's knowledge as her own. Diana yielded and allowed Sage to reabsorb that part her of her mind back. She defeated Merlyn and merged her own soul with the Crystal Palace, stopping the Omniverse's collapse. The Crystal Palace's first choice was actually Cat, but she was too young and scared and couldn't handle it. Sage is now a being of energy with a human soul and the power of a goddess. (And back in a better costume.) She coordinates and monitors the Exiles' missions.
Re: The Evolution of Sage
Post by luana on Jan 2nd, 2018, 3:09pm
Gourgeous, as ever!